Thursday, March 13, 2008

Therapy Thursdays



Thank you for your overwhelming response to Therapy Thursdays. Remember this is a weekly gig. Email me at shannonofthewoods@yahoo.com with any questions you'd like to appear in our segment. Here's a question we received from a lady in Fort Wayne, Indiana...

Dear Therapy Thursday Therapist,

I need help.... Is my husband a keeper? We have been married for 12 years. My husband is a 35 year old who still plays every sport under the sun (basketball, golf, softball, croquet, ...) He currently plays on a flag football team with a bunch of twenty year olds and feels very flattered because he is still one of the best players on the team. This week he went to make a play and tore something in his leg. The most important thing is that he made the play. They had to carry him off the court and drive him home. He is confined to the lazy boy at this time. This injury is just one of many. He broke a rib playing softball, tore something in his shoulder playing dodge ball, sprained ankles playing basketball. So, my question for Thursday therapist is: "Should I stay or should I go now?" Not to mention the therapist and my husband have a concert on Sunday night and he is currently on crutches. 34 year old frustrated wife from Fort Wayne

Dear Frustrated Wife from Fort Wayne,
First, I must congratulate you on having enough courage to be the first “Ginny pig” to enter the non-clinical world of Therapy Thursdays. Second, if I may, I need to correct you. Your first words are “I need help”. Actually it sounds like your wanna be 20 something husband needs the help – literally – go and get him a diet coke with ice right now; that poor guy. It must be killing him to be confined to the lazy boy– I hope he has the Sports Center channel to keep him occupied as he recoups so he can go and have a good time this Sunday with this band.
Your next question is “Should I stay or should I go now?" If it is not obvious yet then let me tell you to “go”. Go right now and get him some hot wings and his favorite drink for tonight’s big game. Oh - and if you want him to recover quicker – call his 3 best buddies and invite them to come over to watch the game with him- remember laughter is the best medicine and when a guy gets with his 3 favorite buddies there will most likely be laughter. Remember to give them a bit of privacy tonight – it kind of makes guys feel weird when they come over to watch the game the wife sticks around for too long when they are trying to have a good time.

I hope this helps. And remember –

“Be the wife that you would want to come home to”.

Therapy Thursday Therapist
MSW, LCSW

3 comments:

Jaena said...

ummmmm...do therapist's answers usually make a person laugh (yes, out loud)?

Shannon said...

This therapist makes me laugh out loud daily. : )

Tisha Alexander said...

That is some good stuff!! :-)